Cumberland House is centrally situated in Sherborne, within a short walking distance to all shopping, a ten minute walk from the railway station and also Abbey. The Castles are also near, 5 minutes by car or a 20 mins walk (not in high heels).
The house is over three hundred years old and although all modern facilities have been incorporated, because it is a listed building, some features may be difficult such as narrow doorways and no stair lift. However, some guests have had a comfortable stay who arrived by wheel chair, came through the front door, which is level with the pavement, but could manage the stairs. The wheel chair was left undercover at the rear of the house.
We are situated on Greenhill, which has a raised pavement in front, so if arriving by car, access is via Priestlands Lane, a private road which runs parallel to Greenhill behind the property.
After reservation, a map is sent either by snail mail or e mail to indicate the parking area at the rear of the house. If arriving by train, there is a taxi company next to the station which is a short drive to Cumberland House. Failing that, you may prefer to walk, which is about ten minutes but maybe longer if you are pulling heavy cases. There is also a slight hill to negotiate!
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- Please advise us of your arrival time so that we can welcome you.
- Arrival can be any time after 1pm, but early arrival can be accommodated by prior arrangement.
- The entrance from the parking area is at the rear of the house and access is through the garden, which is terraced on three levels. There are 2 steps between lawns half way through the garden, followed by 6 wide , shallow steps from the lawn down to the terrace and further 9 shallow steps from the terrace to the door at the rear. All steps are easy to negotiate. There are 3 solar and 4 set lights in the garden to make it easier at night, especially in winter.
- Assistance is given with luggage if required.
Main Entrance & Reception
- Access to the rear of the house is through the utility room, where there is 1 step into the house, then through the kitchen and then the hallway. Leading off from the hall is the staircase (with ten steps) with handrail to the left.
- On the first floor is a landing off which is a double room with a private bathroom (with a walk in shower) five feet along the landing. Next door is another double room with an ensuite bathroom, with shower over the bath.
- An alternative entrance is through the front door direct from Greenhill into the central hallway.
Public Areas - General (Internal)
- Guests are welcome to use the sitting room, especially in winter to enjoy a roaring log fire.
- Breakfast is served in the dining room across the hallway.
- Both bedrooms are on the first floor and are carpeted.
- One bedroom has ensuite facilities and one has a large shower room with toilet and wash basin.
- Tea and coffee and water facilities are provided.
- All rooms have remote controlled colour television.
- We also provide a hairdryer, bathrobes, and additional blankets and pillows. There is also a flat sheet in each room if this is preferred.
- There is a wardrobe, a chest of drawers, a butlers tray and 2 chairs in each room.
- There is a bedside book with local information plus phone numbers plus many leaflets of the area.
- Bedroom 1 is at the end of the landing after turning left at the top of the stairs.
- The door way is low, so be careful. The ceilings are surprisingly high within the bedroom, which has a deep built in wardrobe, 2 easy chairs, two good size bedside tables with lamps.
- This room has a 4' 6" queen size bed with access from both sides.
- The room has a thermostatically controlled radiator.
- The en suite bathroom has a shower attachment over the bath, a toilet and hand wash basin.
- The floor is timber with thick bath mats.
- The bathroom is heated via a ladder radiator and also has a towel rail/rack.
- This bedroom is directly opposite the top of the stairs.
- There is a queen size bed with high bedhead, 2 bedside antique pine cabinets with 2 bedside lights. There are 2 chairs, plus a hospitality tray and a chest of drawers. There is a large pine wardrobe with a large drawer beneath.
- The floors are timber with silk carpets over.
- The shower room which is private is diagonally across the landing and has a step inside after entering the door. There is a large comfortable shower, with a toilet and wash basin.
- A bathrobe per person is provided.
Grounds and Gardens
- We have an attractive garden on three levels.
- Guests are welcome to relax here at any time.
- Tables and chairs are provided should guest wish to eat outside.
- Access is via the back door. There is a paved terrace with local stone followed by two levels of lawn edged by a cottage garden border.
- There are stepping stones through the lawn towards a path that leads to the rear gate and parking area. The parking area is bricked over in a herringbone pattern.
- There is a smoke alarm in each room and on the first floor landing.
- In the event of a fire, the building can be evacuated by either the back or rear door.
- Smoking is not permitted in the house, but you are welcome to do so within the garden area.
- Special diets are catered for and any particular like and dislikes. Could you please advise before your arrival.
- There is digital televison in both bedrooms and Wireless broadband is also available.
- More lighting will also be fitted in the garden.
- Handrails will be fitted in the garden alongside the steps
- If you have any queries or require further details please do not hesitate to call.
Address: Cumberland House, Greenhill, Sherborne, Dorset, DT9 4EP
Tel: 01935 817554
Fax: 01935 817398
Hours of operation: We are open throughout the year except for the odd day off!!!!
Emergency number: 07802 500 508